Monday, April 13, 2009

The sneaky candy eater

Hope everyone had a great Easter! We had a great weekend at Fort Worden and with the family on Easter. Pictures are coming. I need to get some pictures from others as well (hint, hint for those who promised me their pictures!!) so I can put them all on here. Delaney had a little Easter party at her new school on Friday and she got a little treat bag filled with eggs filled with candy. I walked in to pick her up right as they were sitting down for snack, Angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries as a treat for Easter. It melted my heart as all these 1 and 2 year olds sat with their hands folded and recited, "God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food. Amen." Precious. We took Delaney's treat home since we had to get on the road for Fort Worden. We were getting in the car and she wanted to hold one of the eggs from her bag. My mother's intuition made me think twice about it knowing that she could pop it open and get the candy out, but I pushed it aside and let her have one, hoping that any candy was wrapped if it did escape.

Well, we got about halfway home and sure enough, open pops the egg. I am watching in the rearview mirror as she pulls out a sixlets pack wrapped in plastic. Phew. She can play with it but not eat it. Perfect. We keep driving and I look back and see her little fingers pulling some green foil off a chocolate egg. I am driving with one hand, reaching back with the other demanding that she gives me the chocolate egg all while watching the road and the rearview mirror to see if she complies. In true fashion, our little D stood her ground and quickly shoved the egg into her mouth. I pull the car over and she immediately spits the egg into my hand. Foil was not exactly the taste she was hoping for. I searched for any more candy that fell out, but I didn't come across anymore. I pull back out into traffic and not 10 feet down the road, I see another piece of candy quickly shoved into her mouth. We pull the car back over and I look back to see a little stream of pink spit from the jellybean she just ate running out of her mouth. I feel around her carseat again to find about 8 other jellybeans just waiting to be sneakily consumed on the way home. We made it home without any further candy capers, but I guess I will need to be on the look out from now on. Delaney is not a big sweet eater, but I guess it is more fun when she can do it while mom is demanding for her to stop, but can't do anything about it.

Easter pictures to follow :)

No comments: